CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Another Random Experience

Church up here is always an adventure. It's the most interesting ward I've ever been in. There are a handful of people that I would consider friends, or at least "normal". And then there's everybody else. Not bad people by any means, just different! I don't know very many people's names since we got put right into the primary, so we've been forced to come up with nicknames so that Landon and I can talk about what happened at church and what not. Don't judge me-you know you do it too! At least I know that some of you do.

The first thing that I thought was a little bit strange was my bishop. I'm not his hugest fan, but he's alright. He has big time issues with money. In the few conversations that we've had with him, he never fails to mention the "affluent"people of the ward-or the lack of money that so and so has. Very unbishoplike ( I know that's not a word). Anyway, he came up to me before the meeting started and it looked like he was wearing a sports coat that was 2 sizes to big for him. His shirt was half untucked like he'd been in some brawl on his way to church. Maybe I was the only one that noticed! I just thought his appearance was a little strange today.

Back to the point-I have been somewhat surprised and disappointed at the lack of musical talent in my ward. As near as I can tell, there are only 2 or 3 people that can either lead music or play the piano. And even some of them are shaky. Again, I'm not judging, because I'm not stepping up to take my turn, I'm just taking notice. Well, this morning as I turned the page to sing the opening song, I realized it was one that I had never heard. After a few seconds it was clear that I wasn't alone. The congregation started in together, and after maybe 2 or 3 measures, there wasn't a sole singing. We couldn't follow what was being played. The chorister kept trying to find where we were, and was looking over at the organist, to no avail! By the end of the 1st verse, people were laughing out loud-especially my kids! The organist stopped playing, and I thought that we'd just have the opening prayer-wrong again. The chorister (who was subbing and clearly didn't even know how to lead music) walked over to the organ, they had a little chat for a few minutes. Clearly trying to find a song that they both knew, and then she came back to the microphone, announced the new opening song, and we were off and running again!

I only posts these things, so that when I get home I can read back through the posts of this year, and truly appreciate my life even more. Every Sunday I say to myself, I wonder what new experience I will have today!

4 comments:

Liz

I love it!!! It makes me appreciate Bishop Paulsen even more. Sounds like a very small town experience. I think I would do good in a small town, you are a little more "city" girl. love ya

Terese Hamilton

That's the funniest thing!! I think every ward has it's quirks and when you're new it's hard to get used to them. We've been in this ward for almost 3 years now and there are lots of things I still can't used to.

Like...we have so many people in our ward that are on their second or third marriage. Like 1/3 - 1/2 of the ward. And since we've been here there's been I think 4 divorces. CRAZY!

I'm primary president right now and I am shocked at how many people asked to be released or flat out refuse callings. (I didn't know you were allowed to do that)

But as much drama as there seems to be all the time, it still feels like this is where we're supposed to be. (so what does that say?)

Mark and Karen

I literally can not believe it! What an experience. I've never lived in a small town or a small ward. I have lived in a ward with mostly farmers. That was different and fun too. You learn some amazing stuff - that's for sure!

Tara L. Stradling

Oh my goodness - HILARIOUS! I can't even begin to imagine something like this...