CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

You Win Some You Lose Some

One of my goals as a mother is to raise my kids to be hard working, considerate adults. (among other things) And that when they get to adulthood they are well prepared for it.
When my kids were all real little and still at home all day, I wondered sometimes if I was actually going to lose my mind. I felt like all I did was feed people and wipe up poop! I tried to give them age appropriate jobs so that they learned the value of hard work. And I worked on the little things. Make your bed, clear your plate, use your manners-all the good stuff. (and still do) I use to wonder of all of the hard work would pay off when they got older. (not that I'm done, but I've been at it for a while now-almost 12 years!)
Well after tonight's dinner, I think I have my answer. NO. NOT EVER! I can see now that I'm wasting my time. I'm sure that all 3 of these children will leave my house the same animals they were when they got here. We had burping, screaming, arguing, moving their food around in little piles and then explaining that they were full and of course my personal favorite, passing gas. When asked to clear their plates (which also means rinse and load your dishes in the dishwasher since we don't have a dish fairy) not one of them did. Sure they cleared their plates, because we asked them to-AGAIN. But they left them on the counter for the fairy. How many times do I have to explain that she's not real!!!
(not my counter-although not far off)

Just when you start to think that it's nice to have your kids get a little older, they pull off a dinner like tonight! I would just like to apologize now to their future spouses. I did the best I could. Really I tried.

8 comments:

Kelly

You are SO funny. I can't even imagine. I am still in the stage of cleaning up poop, feeding and walking Bailey. However, I am sure she will doing the same thing soon. Passing gas at the table, I think that just happened last week at my parents house for dinner, and the kids are 21, 26 and 31. Do that make you feel any better?

Kirsten

wow. I think you just put into words what I feel most days. (at least you know you're not alone)

brooke

Great--I have nothing to look forward to. I feel like all I do every day is clean up messes and feed the kids constantly.

Ashley

This is so funny--depressing though bc I have been looking forward to the day when my kids start helping out. I agree with Brooke and Kelly--it's all butts and feeding! You are a good mom!

Pandy

I'm really trying to feel sympathy for you, but Kelly is right. I can't ever remember getting through a meal - even now - when someone wasn't showing off (with great pride....) some disgusting bodily function. My kids say our meals should be videotaped because no one would believe what goes on. Not something I'm proud of. By the way, I thought I had taught them well. However, I have evidence that when you turn your back your kids morph into unrecognizable gremlins. When they leave your home, it gets worse. I just blame it on Mark's genes.

Liz

Laughing so hard right now. Don't worry, we all feel that way. And I'm glad to see that you have little rotten piggies just like me! I especially love that you apologize to their future spouses...aint it the truth! Your so funny.

Loric

I hear ya my friend, I hear ya.

Allison

oh man, so your telling me it doesn't get much better than wiping up poop???? crap!! Just kidding! You are too funny though. Thanks for having a blog that keeps it real....I love it! :)