CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Food Storage Heaven

When we moved to Redmond 4 months ago I would describe our food storage as non-existent! We had nothing. We had lived within 5 minutes of Landon's parents who had enough food storage for all of us, so we never bought a thing. We had a gun and figured we could always walk the 3 or 4 miles to their house. And then we moved. I have had such a nagging feeling that we needed to start getting our own food storage. I mean, I don't think our neighbors would be quite as excited to see us as Landon's parents would be! Feeling overwhelmed, I started reading anything and everything to get started. I finally came up with a plan that worked with my budget, and is getting us some storage. We have so many cans that they don't fit in our pantry anymore, so we starting stacking stuff in the corner of our spare bedroom.
Ever since I've been buying a lot more canned foods, I've been drooling over this shelf reliance can rotating system. It so works with my OCD! However, I decided our money was better spent on the actual cans rather than the can holder! (Okay Landon decided) The other day at Costco I stumbled onto the little ones that hold around 40 cans.They weren't that expensive, so I got myself a few. I am in food storage heaven!!!! Even Landon is impressed. Here are a couple before shots of how I was storing stuff.
The bedroom corner

My pantry
And now...

Whitley was helping to roll the cans in and thought she should model them. So at least we're off to a good start. And don't worry, we have wheat and rice and oats and such too. All though I think my kids could live on Spaghettios and chicken noodle soup for quite a while. And clearly we're not going to be without pop.

9 comments:

Pandy

I'm so impressed, Amy! We have a hard time keeping food storage. Just Sunday Jon went "shopping" in our storage pantry. Why bother with grocery stores when you have Mom and Pops???

I'm so happy you included the soda. I figure I would be a lot happier about eating food storage if I had a nice, cold Diet Pepsi!

Jen Hilton

You bought a FEW? I think you bought Costco out! =) I love how food storage includes sodas too. Why be w/o the stuff you love! Welcome to the food storage club.

Ashley

Every time I read stuff like this I start sweating bc I don't have enough. I too have salivated over the shelf reliance shelves for years. They had them in the malls in Utah at Christmas for a good price and I was so tempted before I realized (1) I have no place for one; (2) I couldn't get it on the plane; and (3) I should use my money for actual food. I saw the ones at Costco too, and now that I've seen how beautiful yours are, I want to go buy them. Nice work.

Liz

That looks awesome. So organized! I know where to come if I need a drink! And who couldn't live on spaghettio's?

brooke

I'm going to go get those at Costco too. You are so smart to have soda pop too. I have year supply of girl scout cookies and diet coke because I don't wanna live if living is without those. I'm done buying wheat and other stuff that I have no idea how to use. I'm just buying more cans of soup and other stuff we could make in a pinch. Thanks for the reminder--I always need to buy more.

Kelly

Thanks for the ideas. I myself am reliant on my parents that live 5 mins away. This is a great reminder and a must with the soda.

Loric

That's very impressive Amy!!! Looks great! Want to organize mine?

Wendi

Hey!! I have this system.. Glad you are stocked up!

Tara L. Stradling

I love Love LOVE that Pepsi is part of your food storage. Seriously! That is what mine will look like: Pepsi and peanut butter. I'll be set for life!