CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Food Storage Oatmeal and Homemade Wassail

Lately I have been putting a lot of my focus on our food storage (or lack of it). We've always lived close to family, and Landon's dad has always had enough food storage for all of us. What a blessing. We always knew that all we had to do was get to Bumpa's house, and we'd be okay.
Now that we live 100's of miles away, that's not quite a reality for us. So, I've been getting food storage of our own. I know, I know, I should have been doing it all along, but I didn't. I really wanted to store food that we would eat, and that we knew how to eat. I didn't want a bunch of stuff that I had no idea how to use. I'm thinking that once a week I'm going to make a meal from my food storage. That way, I learn how to cook with it, and it's being rotated! This month I'm focusing on oats. So, for breakfast I made this yummy oatmeal with all pantry items, except for the apple. However, it would be just as good without it! It was delicious, and super easy.
Landon and I have also been cooking up big pots of homemade wassail. We love it, and it tastes so good on a cold fall morning, or night, or afternoon. YUMMO!

4 comments:

Mark and Karen

I know what you mean. We hadn't gotten any food storage until we moved far away too. In Gilbert, Mark's idea of food storage was having a gun and enough gas to get to Mesa.

What the heck is Wassail?

Amy

Karen
That was our EXACT food storage! Wassail is this yummy orangey, spice drink. We love it

Liz

looks sooo good. did you get that recipe off the safely gathered in website? I just made the wheat bread off of that. i simply love that site...thanks for finding it! I will do my spill on the bread in a post this week..pretty funny!

Jen Hilton

A COLD fall morning? What is that?