CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Conference Day 1

This year I decided to try a few of the ideas I've heard and read about to keep my kids entertained and quiet, and most importantly maybe even listening to conference! I printed off a big packet of age appropriate activites for them to do. Everything from Book of Mormon books word searches, to coloring pages. They love it. They got right to work, and I had to have them stop in between sessions so that they'd have something to do during the second session.
Now, don't get me wrong. They weren't quiet, perfect little angels, but it certainly helped. One of the acitivites that Colton and Whitley had was to write down what each of the 1 presidency and quorum of the 12 spoke about, and then what they would do to try to be better at it. They were both pretty into it. Sometimes they weren't sure what the talk was about, and spent the whole time asking us "what is this about?" But hey at least they were listening!

The other thing I did were these candy bars. I bought a huge pack of mini candy bars from Costo for Halloween the other day, and then printed these wrappers off of the 1st presidency and quorum of the 12. When that particular person was speaking they found that candy bar, and got to eat it while they spoke. Clearly this was the highlight. At one point in the second session, President Eyring announced who would be speaking next, and the next two were both apostles, and Colton yelled "sweet, 2 candy bars in a row!" But again I say, at least they were listening.

After reading my friend Rachels blog, I think I'm headed to Wal Mart for pipe cleaners and modeling clay. A whole new bag of tricks to add to the things from today. They might actually enjoy conference this year. I know I sure am.

3 comments:

Rachel

Dang that I didn't read this sooner. Share your brilliance in a timely fashion so we can all copy. I LOVE the candy bars!

Ashley

I agree--those candy bars are a great idea! You have good kids, and you are a fun mom to do all that. I was really looking forward to settling down for conference and then I remembered I have two little kids.

WHITE

Okay you have 6 months to think of something to entertain Rowdy next comference...I thought he was going to lose his mind...he keep walking up and turning it off, then pointing at us and saying "I said no!!!" It was a real joy!