CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

To Skimp or Not to Skimp

Yesterday I finally got my hair cut. Okay, trimmed! My neighbor is a hairdresser, so after I showered I ran across the street with wet hair for a much needed trim. She was combing through my hair, getting ready to cut it, and commented on how yummy it smelled. My first thought was "thank goodness!" I'm super sensitive to smells, good and bad. I am slightly obsessed with my house, car and family smelling good. There is no smell better than the clean laundry. My dryer vent is right outside my front door. I'm almost always doing laundry so that is the first thing people smell when they come to my house. I can't even begin to explain the joy that I get from this knowledge.

That all has very little to do with my point! As I was washing my hair this morning I was thinking of that conversation I had with my friend yesterday. I was thinking about how I have always used "good" shampoo. No matter the price, it's worth it to me. Even on my girls hair. Which got me to thinking about some of the other things that I absolutely WILL NOT skimp on, no matter what. We could be living in a cardboard box down by the river, and I'd still be using good shampoo. I like a lot of nice quality stuff, but these are my top four that I will not, no matter the circumstance, budge on quality. In no particular order...

Good Shampoo. I'm currently using Biolage (which is my fav, but I also really like Redkin)

Jam/Jelly. I prefer Jam, it spreads easier! I will not buy store brand, cheap jam. It's just wrong. Knotts is my fav, but I also like Trader Joe's. Cherry is the best!
Toilet paper. Truth be told, this should be at the top. There is nothing worse than using thin, scratchy TP. This Charmin Ultra is the thickest, finest TP money can buy. This has been the center of many a battles with my dad, who thinks that thick TP clogs the toilets. I've try to explain to him what I think is clogging his toilets, to no avail.
Boar's Head deli meats. This is the finest deli meat you can get. It's not that processed junk, it's the real deal. I let my dear husband get some deli meat a few weeks ago, and he got whatever was on sale. Lets just say it wasn't Boar's Head, and we threw most of it away. I'm super picky about meat in general, but this is the only deli meat I will buy.
I wanna know. What won't you skimp on???

8 comments:

Rachel

that's my shampoo too. i figure if we don't eat at least our hair will smell good AND we'll be skinny.

Liz

I'm totally with you on the toilet paper...only charmin. The shampoo...not so much, I do love Biolage but I will use anything that smells good...I love herbal essence and I'm sure it is terrible for your hair. I remember coming to your house when we were little and your mom was always doing laundy and I loved the smell of it. I still use downy just because of smelling it at your house.

brooke

I'm so with you on the tp and the boar's head. I chose my grocery store based solely on the fact that they sell BH in the deli--it is divine.

In general, I just like my brands--crest toothpaste, Campbell's soup, Eggo waffles etc. I have a hard time with the imitation brands--I know, so lame.

Mark and Karen

I would say my top three must haves would be jam (we buy knotts SEEDLESS strawberry), TP (also Charmin), and bread. I have to have good wheat bread! Too funny that two of my top favs are yours too.

Mark and Karen

I should include good english muffins in that bread category.

Nikki

I had to laugh at the T.P. only because my mom buys that same brand and not too long ago we were visiting her and Garrett just couldn't stop talking about how great her T.P. was...so, guess what one of Garrett's Christmas presents was...that's right, his very own package of Charmin Ultra! He was in HEAVEN and hid it far, far away from the entire family!

Nikki

I forgot to leave my picks...
1.Miracle Whip or Kraft Mayo...store brand will not do!
2. French's Mustard-you can totally tell a store brand on this one! ha ha
3. Laundry Detergent
4. Candles...Yankee or Salt City/ Gold Canyon otherwise they are just a waste of moola!

Pandy

I think I'll be checking out Boar's Head....never heard of it.

I know I must be an odd duck, but I don't like Charmin. I love the feel of it, but the fibers make me sneeze. I like Costco's TP AND paper towels.

I don't like to skimp on sheets. I like 600 count or higher. I LOVE the feel of crawling between those high quality sheets! By the way, I've never bought them at full price. Some of my favorites have come from places like Costo and Steinmart.

Several years ago I discovered Ruth's Chris and Donovan's Steak Houses. I don't eat steak alot, but when I'm craving a juicy filet, it has to be one of those two places. Once you've had their steaks, there's no going back. Outback just can't cut it. It's a good thing the cravings don't come too often. They're both really expensive! And, sometimes I settle for Outback, just because I love the Bloomin Onion.