CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Many Cultures, One World

One of the things that I love about living here in Seattle is the diversity of people. With Microsoft being so huge up here, it brings people here from all over the world. I love the fact that my children go to school with kids whose cultures and lives are so different than our own. I truly believe it will have a huge impact on them throughout their lives. In fact hanging in the front office of the school is a huge map of the world with the words "MANY CULTURES, ONE WORLD". Cool, right?
When we first moved here, it was so interesting to here my kids talk about their friends and other kids at school. I could hardly pronounce these names, and my kids acted like they were talking about "Mike" and "Susie". Landon and I found ourselves saying "what was his/her name?" alot! Just to give you a little taste of what I mean, here's just a few of the kids' names in Kennedy's first grade class...

Aneesha
Nada
Neha
Nikhil
Reeteka
Ronit
Shaurya
Sidarth
Varun

And they're all mixed in with kids like...
Matt
Jared
Christopher
Makenzie
and Julia!

I just can't say enough about how much I love this part of living in the Northwest!

2 comments:

Pandy

I love this post - and I totally understand what you're saying. One of the things I love about San Diego is the diversity - racial, political, religous, etc.
My children have grown up with a great understanding of other cultures and it has been a gift. Lindsay and Jessica, our Jewish neighbor, grew up calling themselves "Mormish". Jessica helped decorate our Christmas tree and Lindsay participated in their Sabbath ceremonies.

I teach at a college that has over 60 cultures represented. I have learned so much from my students. One Muslim student and I began a conversation about religion and she ended up giving me an English version of the Koran.

Anyway, I could go on and on. I feel you are very fortunate to have such diversity available to you. And I'm so happy that you see it as something so positive.

Liz

That's awesome. I think it is sooo good for kids. We don't get much of that out here in SARATOGIE!!!