CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 2, 2012

A Rough Couple of Weeks

Even though I decided to start fresh on my blog this year, there are a couple of things that need to be documented in order for other things to make sense. Plus, there are just some things that happened that are worth remembering. A week before Christmas, I had just finished wrapping some presents and was putting everything away when my phone rang. I saw that it was the Jr. High and wondered what Whitley needed. It wasn't Whitley. It was the school nurse telling me that Whitley had hurt her wrist in PE. I could tell she was trying not to alarm me, but suggested that I come and get her and maybe get some xrays. I knew it was bad. Whitley is tough as nails and I knew she'd never be in the nurse's office, in the middle of PE, unless she was really hurt. So I jumped in my car and went to get her. I could tell instantly her wrist was broken! So we headed to an urgent care for xrays where they confirmed that yes, it was broken. They informed us that we needed to go see an orthopedic surgeon to have them put a cast on it. They asked if I needed a referral to an ortho. Well it just so happens that I have spent some time with an ortho in the last month with Colton who's knee was swollen and they thought he'd torn his miniscus. But that's another story! I called and made an appt. with my ortho for Thursday morning to get her a cast. That would be 3 days before Christmas! Thursday morning Whit and I head for the ortho. I had several other things to get done that day, and then we had tickets to the Nutcracker that night. When we get there, they take more xrays of her wrist, and then the Dr. comes in to see us.
He shows me the xrays, and then points to this one and tells me that her bones are not lining up (see the arrow above) He would like to do a cat scan so he can see it better, but that she might need to have pins put in to get it lined up. Otherwise she could lose some of the mobility in her wrist! Being the good mother that I am, I am cracking up while he's telling me this. Seriously?? We just had to have several xrays and an MRI on Colton's knee like 2 weeks before this. (miniscus not torn FYI-no known reason for the swelling in his knee) I think maybe he thought I was losin' it because he said that he could try numbing it with a couple shots, and then moving it by hand. So I figured what the heck! If it saves me a cat scan and surger let's go for it. Whit wasn't as convinced. We tried. It was UGLY (I'll save you the details). We failed. We went for a cat scan, and were scheduled for surgery for the next day. Friday, 7am. She did beautifully! She had very little pain. After a week in a half cast, she got a cast that goes up past her elbow. Pins still in!! She'll get that one removed in a few days and then go to a cast that hits the middle of her forarm. Good times. Oh and did I mention that she got braces this morning? Well she did. Poor Whit. Life is a little rough right now!

1 comments:

Liz

At least she broke it in PE and NOT double riding on a bike with her friend and getting her ankle caught in the spokes and landing face first in the road:) just sayin!