CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, December 6, 2010

We Start at 7AM

All three of my kids take the piano. This is not optional in our house. Maybe it's because I grew up with the piano Nazi, and that's just what I know. But I do think it's good for them, and I am grateful that I know how to play the piano. (yes mom, you were right). So I want that for my kids too.

My mom is their piano teacher, and I hear her complain about her students not practicing. I'm sure it's frustrating. However, I am on the other end of that deal and know how crazy busy life is. So years ago, I figured out that if we were going to get all 3 kids their 30 minutes of practice time, it was going to have to be before school! Lo and behold, it's working.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of mornings that it just doesn't happen, or maybe it just kind of happens. And most mornings one, if not two of them is bitter about the whole thing and they practice the piano as ridiculously as they can. For instance Whitley this morning...
Throwing her head back, and playing as slowly as possible. What she doesn't understand is that I don't care! That only makes her practice time longer! Welcome. Welcome to 7:30am at my house! Please sit, stay a while. There will be another pouting, angry child practicing at 8:00am.

5 comments:

Liz

Mean mom! My kids do that about everything...homework, dinner, chores! I say we start beating them!

Miss

Hmm, that's a good idea. Except, Brooke won't practice AT ALL without me sitting next to her (bad habits form fast and hard). So...not sure what to do now. What age did you start your kiddos?

Amy

Not until 8. My mom won't even start kids until then!

Miss

Hmmm, well, Brooke is almost 7 so I'll let her lay off for another year and then we'll start up again. :) Any time your girls wanna do a musical spotlight in Primary again, we'd love to hear it!

Loric

I love you my dear Amy! I know I'm a bit behind on this blogging thing, but I just cracked up on this post. You're piano practicing time looks and sounds a lot like the the piano practicing time at our house. Love how you captured the moment. I'm showing my kids this one. LOVE IT!